[petsc-users] Strange error(?) message

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:24:49 CDT 2012

I was reading the FAQ list when I came across the following:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#key

When calling MatPartitioningApply() you get a message Error! Key 16615 not
found The graph of the matrix you are using is not symmetric. You must use
symmetric matrices for partitioning.

Is this a limitation on ParMetis side? I set up the adjacency matrix based
on the discretization that I will be performing on the grid which is
non-symmetric; both numerically and structurally. What's the solution here?
Make an "approximate" adjacency matrix that sort of looks like
(structurally) my discretization but is symmetric? What I don't understand
is my matrix IS non-symmetric when the code runs on coarser grids!

Also, I was reading the FAQ hoping I can find something regarding using gdb
in parallel. I found this: http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/a/410/485 but
I'm not sure how I should be using gdb in parallel. Could you (maybe Matt?)
please explain a little bit?

Thanks