[petsc-users] Strange error(?) message

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 9 22:25:17 CDT 2012

  This is part of the excellent error handing in ParMetis (sarcasm intended), you would have found it rather quickly in the debugger. (ParMetis code follows)

idx_t BSearch(idx_t n, idx_t *array, idx_t key)
{
  idx_t a=0, b=n, c;

  while (b-a > 8) {
    c = (a+b)>>1;
    if (array[c] > key)
      b = c;
    else
      a = c;
  }

  for (c=a; c<b; c++) {
    if (array[c] == key)
      return c;
  }

  errexit("Key %"PRIDX" not found!\n", key);

  return 0;
}

  So either it is a bug in ParMetis or ParMetis is being passed a "ill-formed" graph and not detecting the "ill-formed" graph cleanly.

   What to do? Well we can't spend out lives debugging other peoples libraries so ..... I am not sure what to do next? Validate that Parmetis is getting reasonable input?

   Barry