[petsc-users] configure of PETSc with multiple cores

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon May 23 06:39:23 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 13:25, Thomas Witkowski <
thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Is there a way to run ./configure with multiple cores? On my systems it
> takes up to three hours to run this script. So around 80% of the time is
> spend in compiling third party packages. Is it possible to run at least this
> compilation with multiple cores, so to provide something like "-j8" to them?

Not currently. The most common reason for slow configure is a slow
network-mounted disk. You can configure on a scratch disk (set symlinks from
where you want to put it). With petsc-dev, you can run multiple configures
concurrently (for different PETSC_ARCH).