[petsc-users] Read from file failes

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 09:38:21 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Elias Goldmann
<goldmann at itp.uni-bremen.de>wrote:

> **
> Hello,
>
> i just did my first steps with SLEPc working my way through the given
> examples.
> Apperently i encounter the error message below when i try to read from
> binary files.
> If i do understand this<http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/2009-October/005223.html>correctly, this could be related to the combination of 64 bit systems and
> complex binary files. Since i want to solve complex eigenproblems from input
> files im confused that this causes problems.

It appears the file is not valid. If you used Matlab to make the binary
file, this will not work
because PETSc can only read real numbers from Matlab. However, valid complex
binary
files are fine (say from SLEPc or PETSc itself).

I would check the file I am trying to load.

   Matt

> Any help available?
> Thanks,
> Elias
>

> ./ex7 -f1 /home/egoldmann/elias/bfw62a.petsc -f2
> /home/egoldmann/elias/bfw62b.petsc
>
> Generalized eigenproblem stored in file.
>
>  Reading COMPLEX matrices from binary files...
> [0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
> ------------------------------------
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Read from file failed!
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Read past end of file!
> [0]PETSC ERROR:
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.1.0, Patch 8, Thu Mar 17 13:37:48
> CDT 2011
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/faq.html for hints about trouble shooting.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/index.html for manual pages.
> [0]PETSC ERROR:
> [0]PETSC ERROR: ./ex7 on a linux-gnu named node5 by egoldmann Wed Jun 29
> 15:54:06 2011
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Libraries linked from
> /home/egoldmann/petsc-3.1-p8/linux-gnu-c-debug/lib
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Configure run at Wed Jun 29 10:19:42 2011
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --with-scalar-type=complex
> --download-blopex
> [0]PETSC ERROR:
> [0]PETSC ERROR: PetscBinaryRead() line 249 in src/sys/fileio/sysio.c
> [0]PETSC ERROR: MatLoad_SeqAIJ() line 3572 in src/mat/impls/aij/seq/aij.c
> [0]PETSC ERROR: MatLoad() line 124 in src/mat/utils/matio.c
> [0]PETSC ERROR: main() line 64 in ex7.c
> [unset]: aborting job:
> application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 66) - process 0

lead.