[petsc-users] SNES_DIVERGED_LS_FAILURE

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Jun 23 05:31:05 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:18, Juha Jäykkä <juhaj at iki.fi> wrote:

> I was expecting that, but the equation is rather long to write in ascii. I
> do
> have a latex version somewhere that I can send if necessary. It is horribly
> nonlinear, though, including a term like (d/dx f) * (d^2/dx^2) f.

What physical system does it represent and what sort of discretization are
you using?

Do you know that the equations have a solution for all values of the
parameter? Even simple problems may not have solutions for all values of a
parameter, or they may be non-unique. For example, see the diagram for the
Bratu problem on page 2 here:

http://www.nada.kth.se/kurser/kth/2D1290/comp03_3.pdf