[petsc-users] KSP solver increases the solution time

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Apr 26 04:56:47 CDT 2011

2011/4/26 Alejandro Marcos Aragón <alejandro.aragon at gmail.com>

> Hi Jed, thanks for replying. In fact, the problem I sent the results from
> is a dynamic problem of a simply supported beam subjected to a constant load
> at the center, so I'm integrating in time.

I take it there is no buckling.

> The material is linear elastic so the stiffness matrix doesn't change in
> non-zero structure. Of course the right hand side changes, but I don't think
> this is the problem because at some point it takes it goes back to just a
> few iterations to solve. The behavior is cyclic, but I don't understand the
> reason for this. I've noticed the same behavior of the solver also in
> quasi-static problems (increasing the load gradually but not integrating
> over time).

Is the convergence relatively smooth? Are you losing a lot in GMRES restarts
(every 30 iterations)? If you have a symmetric formulation (including
boundary conditions), you can use -ksp_type cg, otherwise try
-ksp_gmres_restart 500.

Also, try solving the system with a random right hand side.