[petsc-users] Is there a way to do row/column scaling of jacobian matrix

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 5 11:14:02 CDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 05:58 PM, Gong Ding wrote:
> I known the diagonal scaling. And I will try it tomorrow.
> Thank to slepc, I can monitor the eigen values as an approximation of condition number.
> The original problem as condition number about 1e20, which defeat any iterative solver.

 From personal experience, condition estimates larger than 1e+10 means
practically singular and it is almost impossible to really decrease that
to a reasonable number unless you use some specific system information
which is really really difficult...
And again from personal experience, diagonal scaling is the most naive
scaling out there(however the first to try if you do now know sth
better), and it does not bring much on these kinds of ill-conditioned
systems.

Trying to reformulate the problem seems like a better option to me.

Experts will comment on the above propositions ;)

Good luck.
U.

--
If I have a thousand ideas and only one turns out to be good,
I am satisfied.