[petsc-users] memory leaks

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:07:41 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Luke Bloy <luke.bloy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had some issues with petsc and slepc recently where functionality
> would stop working following a recompilation of my code, after unrelated
> code was changed. This suggested to me a memory leak somewhere.

1) This error does not describe a leak.

2) This is definitely in OpenMPI, during MPI_Init(). I would send it to them

3) In order for valgrind to be more useful, run this using a debugging
executable so we can see symbols

4) I do not get this on my machine. It looks like OpenMPI trying to be smart
about multi-socket machines.

    Matt

After some investigation, it seems that there is a leak in petscInitialize,
> seemingly coming from openmpi. I'm attaching the output of valgrind and a
> basic executable calling petsciInitialize() and petscFinalize. I'm running
> on this an ubuntu 10.04 machine with petsc 3.0.0 and openMPI (1.4.1)
> installed from the repositiories. Although this problem is also evident on
> machines with petsc(3.0.0) and mpi(1.3)  installed from source.
>
> Is this a problem others are seeing? what is a stable combination of petsc
> and mpi? how best should i proceed in tracking this down.
>
> Thanks for the input.
> Luke

lead.