[petsc-users] memory leaks

Luke Bloy luke.bloy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:56:57 CDT 2010

Hi,

I've had some issues with petsc and slepc recently where functionality
would stop working following a recompilation of my code, after unrelated
code was changed. This suggested to me a memory leak somewhere.

After some investigation, it seems that there is a leak in
petscInitialize, seemingly coming from openmpi. I'm attaching the output
of valgrind and a basic executable calling petsciInitialize() and
petscFinalize. I'm running on this an ubuntu 10.04 machine with petsc
3.0.0 and openMPI (1.4.1) installed from the repositiories. Although
this problem is also evident on machines with petsc(3.0.0) and mpi(1.3)
installed from source.

Is this a problem others are seeing? what is a stable combination of
petsc and mpi? how best should i proceed in tracking this down.

Thanks for the input.
Luke