ell1 norm convergence test

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 21 13:43:53 CDT 2009

   Yan,

     This depends on the Krylov method being used. For example with
GMRES the residual vector is NOT available at each iteration (the 2-
norm of the residual is approximated via a recurrence relationship).

     You can call KSPBuildResidual() to have the true residual
computed for you. Note: it is expensive because it actually builds the
current solution and computes r = b - A*x

    What we intended is that if you want the residual efficiently for
example for the CG method, you determine what Krylov method you want
to use the include the appropriate private include file and access the
residual directly from the data structure. This would be efficient.
(but like I said does not work for all methods). For cg include src/
ksp/ksp/impls/cg/cgctx.h

    Barry