DA memory consumption

Denis Teplyashin denist at al.com.au
Sun Nov 22 20:29:05 CST 2009

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused with distributed array memory consumption. I did a
simple test like this one:
  ierr = DACreate3d(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, DA_NONPERIODIC, DA_STENCIL_BOX,
1000, 1000, 1000, PETSC_DECIDE, PETSC_DECIDE, PETSC_DECIDE, 1, 1,
PETSC_NULL, PETSC_NULL, PETSC_NULL , &da);
and then checked memory with PetscMemoryGetCurrentUsage and
PetscMemoryGetMaximumUsage. Running this test using mpi on one core
gives me this result: current usage 3818Mb and maximum usage 7633Mb. And
this is the result after creating just a DA without actual vectors.
Running the same test on two cores gives me even more interesting
result: rank 0 - 9552/11463Mb and rank 1 - 5735/5732Mb.
Is it what i should expect in general or am i doing something wrong? Is
there a simple formula which could show how much memory i would need to
allocate and array with given resolution?

Thanks in advance,
Denis