how to extract a subvector?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 2 13:46:36 CST 2009

    VecScatter is for this purpose.

    Rational: extracting subparts of vectors for ghost points etc
takes place many times in a simulation; maybe millions.
Thus separating it into a set-up followed by many uses is a
worthwhile optimization. Extracting submatrices occur
much less often in a simulation, maybe tens, hundreds or thousands of
times so it is not worth the extra complexity
of having separate set-up followed by many uses. One could argue that
uniformity of design means we should have
handled matrices with a MatScatter concept to parallel the Vec
approach, but it is too late now :-).

    Barry