integrating petsc code into non petsc code

Pierre-Yves Aquilanti sperif at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:27:12 CDT 2009

Hello everyone,

i'm trying to integrate petsc code into one big software. petsc would act as
a solver for the program.
The way that i try to integrate my petsc code is like that:

########################
program myoldnonpetsccode

use mymodule

implicit none

call process_petsc

end myoldnonpetsccode
########################
module mymodule
implicit none

#include "finclude/petsc.h"

contains
subroutine process_petsc
call PetscInitialize(PETSC_NULL_CHARACTER,ierr)

call PetscFinalize(ierr)

end subroutine process_petsc
end module mymodule
###############

The compiler used for petsc, mpich and the non-petsc code is the same (PGI).
I'm perfectly making my module file (.mod) for mymodule and object one (.o).
This one is inserted into a library file (libtest.a).
When i try to make my binary "myoldnonpetsccode" my compiler tells me during
the linking process that there's two undefined reference for
'petscinitialize_' and 'petscfinalize_'. I verified that petsc libraries
where included during linking process (with -L/mypathtopetsclib and
-lpetsc).
I don't find any answer to this on the internet and documentation.

Do you have any clue on what would be the problem ?

Thanks a lot

Best regards

PYA