still Schur complement

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 19 15:04:36 CDT 2008

    Kathrin,

      The MATIS object (the IS stands for iterative substructuring) is
really only good
if you want to use the PETSc Neumann-Neumann preconditioner PCNN. This
preconditioner
is rarely used.

    Anyways the problem is the lack of clarity of the meaning of the
sizes. The size of
the IS passed to the MatSetLocalToGlobalMapping() is NOT the same as
the local size
passed to MatSetSizes(). It is the number of local unknowns plus the
number of ghost nodes.
The local sizes passed to MatSetSizes() is the size of the part of the
vector that belongs
to that processor.

   Barry