still Schur complement

Kathrin Burckhardt tribur at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 17 16:54:27 CDT 2008

Dear Lisandro,

> I'm not completelly sure what are you actually trying to do. It seems
> you know how to actually compute the local Schur complement in a
> entry-by-entry basis. In that case, your way is semms to be OK.

What do you mean with entry-by-entry basis? Anyway, I have the local
Schur complement explicitely, in form of a matrix (or C++ vector).

> However, you get a error because of a inner implementation detail of
> MATIS.  Do de following: set the local-to-global mapping AFTER setting
> the matrix type. This way, your code should now work.

Unfortunately, changing the order of the Mat-commands gives me the same
error. I guess I found the origin of the problem:

I put it in the order below because I thought to avoid

[2]PETSC ERROR: Sum of local lengths 3916 does not equal global length 1958

which is due to the fact that in the case of 2 Subdomains and 2
processors, e.g., it is NPb=NPb_tot in the Schur system, instead of
NPb=NPb_tot/2. However, I realize just now that the order of the
Mat-commands has no influence on this, and that the error mentioned
below has probably its origin there.

I have chosen MATIS because in the manual page of MatCreateIS() it is
written "...m and n are NOT related to the size of the map", but maybe I
understand this setence wrong? How can I choose m,n and M,N
independently?