Poor performance with BoomerAMG?

Ben Tay zonexo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 07:47:49 CST 2008

Hi Knut,

I'm currently using boomeramg to solve my poisson eqn too. I'm using it
on my structured C-grid. I found it to be faster than LU, especially as
the grid size increases. However I use it as a preconditioner with GMRES
as the solver. Have you tried this option? Although it's faster, the
speed increase is usually less than double. It seems to be worse if
there is a lot of stretching in the grid.

Btw, your mention using the DMMG framework and it takes less than a sec.
What solver or preconditioner did you use? It's 4 times faster than GMRES...

thanks!