how to inverse a sparse matrix in Petsc?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:43:32 CST 2008

Ben, some time ago I was doing some testing with PETSc for solving
incompressible NS eqs with fractional step method. I've found that in
our software and hardware setup, the best way to solve the pressure
problem was by using HYPRE BoomerAMG. This preconditioner usually have
some heavy setup, but if your Poison matrix does not change, then the
sucessive solves at each time step are really fast.

If you still want to use a direct method, you should use the
combination '-ksp_type preonly -pc_type lu' (by default, this will
only work on sequential mode, unless you build PETSc with an external
package like MUMPS). This way, PETSc computes the LU factorization
only once, and at each time step, the call to KSPSolve end-up only
doing the triangular solvers.

The nice thing about PETSc is that, if you next realize the
factorization take a long time (as it usually take in big problems),
you can switch BoomerAMG by only passing in the command line
'-ksp_type cg -pc_type hypre -pc_hypre_type boomeramg'. And that's
all, you do not need to change your code. And more, depending on your
problem you can choose the direct solvers or algebraic multigrid as
you want, by simply pass the appropriate combination options in the
command line (or a options file, using the -options_file option).

Please, if you ever try HYPRE BoomerAMG preconditioners, I would like
to know about your experience.

Regards,

--
Lisandro Dalcín