Invalid argument! - not a permutation!

Tim Stitt timothy.stitt at ichec.ie
Thu Oct 25 13:54:20 CDT 2007

Hi all,

Following on from some help I got a few days ago with respect to
MatLUFactorSymbolic() usage in Fortran...I think I now have all the
parts in place but keep getting the following runtime error upon execution:

[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Invalid argument!
[0]PETSC ERROR: not a permutation!
[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: ISInvertPermutation() line 183 in
src/vec/is/interface/index.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: MatLUFactorSymbolic_SeqAIJ() line 276 in
src/mat/impls/aij/seq/aijfact.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: MatLUFactorSymbolic() line 2178 in
src/mat/interface/matrix.c
[localhost.localdomain:24730] MPI_ABORT invoked on rank 0 in
communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD with errorcode 62

Here is the portion of  the offending code (I think):

  call MatAssemblyBegin(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY,error);CHKERRQ(error)
  call MatAssemblyEnd(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY,error);CHKERRQ(error)
  call ISCreateGeneral(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,order,columnIndices,
indexSet,error);CHKERRQ(error)
  call MatFactorInfoInitialize(info,error);CHKERRQ(error)
  call
MatLUFactorSymbolic(A,indexSet,indexSet,info,factorMat,error);CHKERRQ(error)

order - number of rows/columns in square matrix A
columnIndices - 1D array containing values 0-->order-1

All types are set correctly as far as I can tell.

Can anyone suggest why the execution falls over during the
MatLUFactorSymbolic() call?

Thanks again,

Tim.

--
Dr. Timothy Stitt <timothy_dot_stitt_at_ichec.ie>
HPC Application Consultant - ICHEC (www.ichec.ie)

Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
5 Merrion Square - Dublin 2 - Ireland

+353-1-6621333 (tel) / +353-1-6621477 (fax)