Compiler Optimization Override

Aron Ahmadia aja2111 at columbia.edu
Wed Jun 27 08:19:08 CDT 2007

Dear Tim,

I was just in Ireland a few weeks ago, had a great time climbing
Carantouhil and the Pilgrim's Path :D

Have you tried declaring a new $PETSC_ARCH and then overriding the
optimization flags in ./conf/configure?  PETSc likes to use the
$PETSC_ARCH flag to maintain all local builds under the same directory
structure instead of the -prefix flags common to autoconf-style
builds.

Ideally you'd do something like this...

declare -x PETSC_ARCH=petsc_linux_o3
cd $PETSC_DIR
./config/configure.py --COPTFLAGS=-O3
make

If you want to build a debugging version as well, then type:
declare -x PETSC_ARCH=petsc_debug
./config/configure.py --with-debugging=1

you'll then be able to use PETSc makefiles to build your code as long
as you declare your PETSC_ARCH and PETSC_DIR variables ahead of time.

Let me know if this works!
~Aron