Problem creating a non-square MPIAIJ Matrix

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 16 14:33:11 CST 2007

>    MatCreateMPIAIJ(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,PETSC_DECIDE,PETSC_DECIDE,
>            8,6,PETSC_DEFAULT,d_nnz ,PETSC_DEFAULT, o_nnz, &A);

Here you are asking PETSc to decide tine local 'm,n' partition sizes.

So you should use MatGetLocalSize() to get these values [and not
assume they are sequare blocks]

If you need to have the diagonal blocks square - then specify them
appropriately at the matrix creation time [instead of using
PETSC_DECIDE - for m,n parameters].

However - note that you'll have to create Vectors with matching
parallel layout [when using in MatVec()]

i.e in y = Ax

x should match column layout of A
y should match row layout of A

Satish