External software help

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 12 10:16:28 CST 2007

You may test the installation of superlu using
petsc example src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex5.c:
e.g.,
./ex5 -ksp_type preonly -pc_type lu -mat_type superlu -ksp_view | more
KSP Object:
  type: preonly
  maximum iterations=10000, initial guess is zero
  tolerances:  relative=1e-05, absolute=1e-50, divergence=10000
  left preconditioning
PC Object:
  type: lu
    LU: out-of-place factorization
      matrix ordering: nd
    LU: tolerance for zero pivot 1e-12
    LU: factor fill ratio needed 0
         Factored matrix follows
        Matrix Object:
          type=superlu, rows=6, cols=6
          total: nonzeros=0, allocated nonzeros=6
            not using I-node routines
            SuperLU run parameters:
              Equil: NO
              ColPerm: 3
              IterRefine: 0
              SymmetricMode: NO
              DiagPivotThresh: 1
              PivotGrowth: NO
              ConditionNumber: NO
              RowPerm: 0
              ReplaceTinyPivot: NO
              PrintStat: NO
              lwork: 0
  linear system matrix = precond matrix:
  Matrix Object:
    type=superlu, rows=6, cols=6
    total: nonzeros=20, allocated nonzeros=30
      not using I-node routines
Norm of error < 1.e-12, Iterations 1
KSP Object:

> I've installed superlu. I issued the command ./a.out  -mat_type
> superlu -ksp_type preonly -pc_type lu and it just hanged there. Is it
> because I had install it with mpich? I also wanted to try umfpack and
> plapack. Is it similar?
>
> Btw, plapack 's option isn't in pg 82 of the manual.

I'll add it. Thanks,

Hong