External software help

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 12 10:14:52 CST 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Ben Tay wrote:

> Hi Satish,
>
> I've installed superlu. I issued the command ./a.out  -mat_type
> superlu -ksp_type preonly -pc_type lu and it just hanged there.

Did you install superlu separately? Sugest installing with PETSc
configure option '--download-superlu=1.

> Is it because I had install it with mpich?

No - its because superlu includes some blas code - that will hang if
compiled 'with -O' - esp with intel compilers. PETSc configure handles
this correctly.

> I also wanted to try umfpack and plapack. Is it similar?
> Btw, plapack 's option isn't in pg 82 of the manual.

I believe plapack is for parallel dense usage - so perhaps its not
appropriate for your usage..

Satish