PETSc runs slower on a shared memory machine than on a cluster

Shi Jin jinzishuai at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 17:23:24 CST 2007

Hi there,

I have made some new progress on the issue of SMP
performance. Since my shared memory machine is a 8
dual-core Opteron machine. I think the two cores on a
single CPU chip shares the memory bandwidth.
Therefore, if I can avoid using the same core on the
chip, I can get some performance improvement. Indeed,
I am able to do this by the linux command taskset.
Here is what I did:
petscmpirun -n 8 taskset -c 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14 ../spAF
This way, I specifically ask the processes to be run
on the first core on the CPUs.
By doing this, my performance is doubled compared with
the simple petscmpirun -n 8 ../spAF

So this test shows that we do suffer from the
competition of resources of multiple processes,
especially when we use 16 processes.

However, I should point out that even with the help
taskset, the shared-memory performance is still 30%
less than  that on the cluster.

I am not sure whether this problem exists specifically
for the AMD machines or it applys to any shared-memory
architecture.

Thanks.
Shi