a current state of python bindings

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Thu Apr 26 05:52:16 CDT 2007

Hi Mads,

yes, I know about the bindings from elefant, but they seem to be just
a direct translation of C commands to Python, but petsc4py seem to be
more pythonic. I know that there is no documentation to them, but
reading the sources (there are a lot of docstrings) was enough for me.
If you want to look at an example:

http://grainmodel.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/femlib/

look into the "__init__.py", where I set up paths for petsc4py, and
then into "fem.py", where I import petsc4py and construct matrices and
solve them.

But I just wanted to check what people at this mailinglist use.
Experimenting with petsc in python is just fun.

And as to the installation - there are many options to the petsc
package, so it's difficult (almost impossible) to create one (binary)
package for all, on the other hand, when developing my program, I want
petsc to just work (I can play with the options later). I use Debian,
thus I just want to "apt-get install petsc-dev" to have a functioning
petsc installation and then "apt-get install python-petsc" to have
functioning python bindings. So my contribution to this is to create
the python-petsc Debian package and get it into Debian.

Ondrej