HYPRE with multiple variables

Allison Baker abaker at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 25 15:44:59 CDT 2007

Hi Barry and Nicolas,

To clarify,

HYPRE_BoomerAMGSetNumFunctions(solver, int num_functions) tells AMG to
solve a system of equations with the specified number of
functions/unknowns. The default AMG scheme to solve a PDE system is the
"unknown" approach. (The coarsening and interpolation are determined by
looking at each unknown/function independently - therefore you can
imagine that the coarse grids are generally not the same for each
variable. This approach generally works well unless you have strong
coupling between unknowns.)

HYPRE_BOOMERAMGSetNodal(solver, int nodal ) tells AMG to coarsen such
that each variable has the same coarse grid - sometimes this is more
"physical" for a particular problem. The value chosen here for nodal
determines how strength of connection is determined between the coupled
system.  I suggest setting nodal = 1, which uses a Frobenius norm.  This
does NOT tell AMG to use nodal relaxation.

If you want to use nodal relaxation in hypre there are two choices:

(1) If you call  HYPRE_BOOMERAMGSetNodal, then you can additionally do
nodal relaxation via the schwarz smoother option in hypre.  I did not
implement this in the Petsc interface, but it could be done easy enough.
The following four functions need to be called:

      HYPRE_BoomerAMGSetSmoothType(solver, 6);
      HYPRE_BoomerAMGSetDomainType(solver, 1);
      HYPRE_BoomerAMGSetOverlap(solver, 0);
      HYPRE_BoomerAMGSetSmoothNumLevels(solver, num_levels);  (Set
num_levels to number of levels on which you  want nodal smoothing, i.e.
1=just the fine grid, 2= fine grid and the grid below, etc.  I find that
doing nodal relaxation on just the finest level is generally
sufficient.)  Note that the interpolation scheme used will be the same
as in the unknown approach - so this is what we call a hybrid systems
method.

(2) You can do both nodal smoothing and a nodal interpolation scheme.
While this is currently implemented in 2.0.0, it is not advertised
(i.e., mentioned at all in the user's manual) because it is not yet
implemented very efficiently (the fine grid matrix is converted to a
block matrix - and both are stored), and we have not found it to be as
effective as advertised elsewhere (this is an area of current research
for us)..... If you want to try it anyway, let me know and I will
provide more info.

Hope this helps,
Allison