Process interrupted error

Knut Erik Teigen knutert at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Apr 12 02:20:42 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 06:55 -0500, Barry Smith wrote:
>   Something is sending an interupt signal to all the proccess
> except one. We've seen this happen where the "batch or node
> scheduler does this to kill a long running job".
>
>   Does it happen even if the parallel vector is real short?

Yes, even with a vector of size 1, this happens.

>   Does the machine seem to hang at that point or does the sigint
> come immediately?
It hangs for a short period, and then displays the sigint error.
When running with 2 processes, it also hangs a bit, but then continues
with the correct results.

>   Can you us the runtime option -start_in_debugger or totalview
> to catch the signal?
Something really weird happens here. The first time I run the program
with -start_in_debugger noxterm,idb , it finishes correctly, no matter
the number of processes or problem size. The second time, however, I get
the sigint errors.
When I run with idb I get:
(idb) Program exited normally.
(idb) Program received signal SIGINT

With gdb I get:
0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
and then the program hangs.

However I get this message in the beginning with both:
[3]PETSC ERROR: PETSC: Attaching gdb to ./out of pid 30549 on ivt0415

-Knut Erik-