Installation on windows

Joel Schaerer joel.schaerer at insa-lyon.fr
Thu May 11 18:47:18 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I've been using Petsc on linux successfully for some time. I'm now trying to
port my code under windows, and it turns out, installing petsc on windows is
not easy!
If possible, I would like to use petsc with Visual Studio (my version is .NET
2003). I tried various config/configure.py options, but to no avail, petsc
still uses gcc to compile itself...

If that is not possible, is it possible to compile petsc with gcc and link the
resulting libraries to Visual Studio compiled code? I've only been able to
produce .a libraries, and if I understand well, I can't use .a libraries with
visual studio.

So: has anyone compiled petsc with the visual studio compilers? If yes, how
(configure options, PETSC_ARCH used, etc.)? Also, is there any recent
documentation about petsc on windows available? I've only been able to find
outdated stuff...

Thanks a lot!

Joel Schaerer