[petsc-dev] petsc patch number

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 19 11:27:01 CDT 2017

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017, Kong, Fande wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > Why do you need to distinguish (between petsc maint snapshots) if you
> > are using the fixed superlu_dist version with both?
> >

> The old one has been complied several months ago, and we do not want to
> recompile it,

What do you mean by old? PETSc-3.6.4, or PETSc-3.7.5? [or both?]

> and most of tests stay with this version.

Which version?

> The current patched one is used for a few tests only.

How would you do that? Is that a 3rd test run in addition to the above
two? If so why do you need version info here [why not run the third
test with the extra configure option I mentioned with petsc-3.7.5 or
whatever 'maint' snapshot your test scripts can grab?[

Or why not fix your test scripts to grab URLs - and not hardcode version info?

>  It is not that trivial for me to update all user side applications
> with petsc. We therefore avoid updating petsc frequently.

You appear to have basic misunderstanding about petsc patch
releases. As Jed mentioned the API is not supporsed to change with
patch releases so you shouldn't have to 'update user side
applications'.

Anyway - I guess I don't really understand the problem you are trying
to solve - and how a different petsc 'version' helps with it.

Perhaps a 3.7.6 release will help. You'll have to wait for that.

Satish