[petsc-dev] Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with 1 MPI process

Antonio Trande anto.trande at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:08:36 CDT 2016

On 10/13/2016 04:13 PM, Satish Balay wrote:

>>> To start off - I looked at all the 5 32bit build logs in 464373 - and
>>> they don't have any C or OpeMPI tests crashing anymore.  I remember
>>> seeing these crashes in some of the previous logs. Any idea what fixed
>>> this?
>>
>> There are errors.
>> https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/sagitter/petsc/fedora-rawhide-i386/00464373-petsc/build.log.gz
>
> Not with C example. It says:
>>>
> C/C++ example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 run successfully with 1 MPI process
> <<<
>
> However you are probably refering to the message 'Error detected during compile or link!'. See below.

Yes, i can ignore 'Error detected during compile or link!'.
I will apply your patch.

>>> And wrt the fortran example [with non-mpi build] crashing - somehow
>>> the following appears to make a difference:
>>>
>>> FFLAGS=-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
>
>>> Is it possible to remove this option from FFLAGS? [with 'FOPTFLAGS=']
>>
>> They are flags automatically set for "hardened" builds
>> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Harden_All_Packages#Detailed_Harden_Flags_Description).
>
> It doesn't mention fortran - and:
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>                            Non-hardening 	Hardening
> Compile for dynamic linking 	-fPIC 	        -fPIC
> <<<<<<<<<<
>
> We already use -fPIC - so it shouldn't have made any difference - so a gfortran bug on i386?

I think no.
Same default flags are automatically set during RPM building; i will set
them manually.

>> New builds:
>>
>> Without "/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1" flags:
>> http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/sagitter/petsc/build/464687/
>>
>> Same configuration for debugging:
>> http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/sagitter/petsc/build/464692/
>>
>Why a different debug build? Whats the difference? And what I should be
looking for? {in the debug build?}

In debug build aren't used default Fedora flags, only "-O0 -g".
'make test' uses valgrind.
Just to see if 'Error detected during compile or link!' warning was
still there.

>The CFLAGS are getting used once in <seq> - twice in <openmp> and
>three times in <mpich> builds.  Perhaps the FLAGS cleanup didn't fix
>all the builds.. [I won't cause problems - just make it a bit more
>nreadable..]

Probably happens because of built-in scripts that i use during
libpetsc-MPI builds.

I guess, we can consider all tests successfully passed.

--
---
Antonio Trande