[petsc-dev] Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with 1 MPI process

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 13 09:13:06 CDT 2016

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Antonio Trande wrote:

> >> I'll try and see if I can reproduce this.. [in a 32bit VM]..
> >
> > To start off - I looked at all the 5 32bit build logs in 464373 - and
> > they don't have any C or OpeMPI tests crashing anymore.  I remember
> > seeing these crashes in some of the previous logs. Any idea what fixed
> > this?
>
> There are errors.
> https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/sagitter/petsc/fedora-rawhide-i386/00464373-petsc/build.log.gz

Not with C example. It says:

C/C++ example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 run successfully with 1 MPI process
<<<

However you are probably refering to the message 'Error detected during compile or link!'. See below.

> > And wrt the fortran example [with non-mpi build] crashing - somehow
> > the following appears to make a difference:
> >
> > FFLAGS=-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1

> > Is it possible to remove this option from FFLAGS? [with 'FOPTFLAGS=']
>
> They are flags automatically set for "hardened" builds
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Harden_All_Packages#Detailed_Harden_Flags_Description).

It doesn't mention fortran - and:

                           Non-hardening 	Hardening
Compile for dynamic linking 	-fPIC 	        -fPIC
<<<<<<<<<<

We already use -fPIC - so it shouldn't have made any difference - so a gfortran bug on i386?

<skip logs - will check them >

> On Fedora builds, i see this warning without any other info:
>
> *******************Error detected during compile or link!*******************
> See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
> /builddir/build/BUILD/petsc-3.7.4/buildopenmpi_dir/src/snes/examples/tutorials
> ex19

This is just a false positive with the string check with 'error' in
'-Werror=format-security'. The C example did run fine..

To fix this - you can use the following patch.
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/69cca02db8de80df74bb113429c95518e4fd7281

Satish