[petsc-dev] strangness in Chebyshev estimate of eigenvalues

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 25 10:55:49 CDT 2016

On Wed, 25 May 2016, Mark Adams wrote:

> Is rebase -i going to work?  I read:
>
> git rebase -i master
>
> Note that rebasing to the master does not work if you merged the master
> into your feature branch while you were working on the new feature. If you
> did this you will need to find the original branch point and call git
> rebase with a SHA1 revision.

You've already pointed out the problem with 'rebase -i master'

I would do 'rebase master' and 'rebase -i commitid' separately - and
not club them into a single operation.

Perhaps 'rebase master && rebase -i master' is what you would like to
do [and should workarround the above issue].

And with any rebase - one would always have to be careful - and verify
exactly whats hapenning [and if its consistant with what you expect or
not]

> So I was pulling from master all the time, by mistake.  If I do a rebase -i
> with /jed/mark/snes-ex56c, will it give me all of the branch to squash?

This question does not make sense to me. If you want to set
'mark/snes-ex56c' to the jed's 'rebased' branch - you can do:

git co mark/snes-ex56c
git reset --hard origin/jed/mark/snes-ex56c

[and then I would use rebase - to rebase against master or squash/modify commits - as needed]

and then delete all the un-needed branches.
git push -u origin :mark/snes-ex56b
git push -u origin :jed/mark/snes-ex56c

Mark - perhaps its best if you are not an integrator - and always go
through PR process - so that someone [usually Barry, Jed, Matt] can
verify any issues - before feture branches are merged to
maint/master/next?

Thanks,
Satish