[petsc-dev] NEVER put // into PETSc code. PETSc is C89, the only real C.

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jun 22 23:07:28 CDT 2016

>   Hmm, both of these links refer to C99 Standard Library  they do not refer to the C99 standard language. Anywhere that says the language standard?

To my knowledge, variable length arrays (which are actually quite useful
for numerical work, particularly as VLA-pointers) are not supported by
MSVC and never will be (which is why they were made optional in C11).
Anyway, that alone means that the language implementation is not
complete.  But as far as I know, // comments and for-loop declarations,
for example, should not present a portability issue.