[petsc-dev] Configure push

Sean Farley sean at farley.io
Mon Jun 6 19:15:09 CDT 2016

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>

>>    In order to allow decent pre-testing before merging to next I had Jason
>> write a shell script to talk to a Jenkins server and organize a Jenkins
>> server to accept such tests with decent turn around. Little did I know how
>> rigid Jenkins is in how it wants to do things; so the final result was just
>> too cumbersome to deal with websites and job numbers ....
>>
>>    I'd like us to try again this time with just ssh and simple scripts
>> (Jenkins is just not suitable). From the user point of view one would be in
>> a git branch such as
>>
>> ~/Src/petsc (my-cool-branch=)
>> $ ./bin/submittest options
>>
>> depending on options and a configuration file it would launch a series of
>> tests on the local machine or any another machine you have ssh keys for. It
>> could even have an option like --merge-to-next where in the tests it merges
>> the branch into next automatically before running the tests. The jobs would
>> all be run (even on the local machine) off of other clones so wouldn't
>> interfere with your own work. By default it would run a few cases that
>> usually mess up, a complex, a quad precision, a c++, a 64 bit integer etc.
>> this will catch most basic errors.
>>

> I like this very much. I would also be happy with just email responses,
> although I do not see why we don't just use the current filter for the
> nightly runs on it.
> Just let me know what we have and I will start using it.

In theory, you could use our build status api:

https://blog.bitbucket.org/2015/11/18/introducing-the-build-status-api-for-bitbucket-cloud/

This would allow you to test any (or every) branch (before merging) and
update the commits that pass/fail. If this works out for you guys, it
could be used to update the status of a pull request (if that's of
interest to anyone).

I think the yt project uses jenkins in this way, I believe.

There's also (free and beta) Bitbucket Pipelines but that is based on
docker and I'm guessing you have tests specifically for things that
docker doesn't support.