[petsc-dev] Configure push

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 6 16:52:35 CDT 2016

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > > I don't really have the OS/compiler options available to test things
> > > exhaustively, so I am
> > > using next for this. I think this is acceptable right now.
> >
> > Well then the feature is not yet ready for next - and could have
> > waited until it was ready.
> >

> I do nto agree here. Just because some Git nerd thinks that 'next' should be
> that way does not mean it is what makes us most productive. I think we are
> way
> more productive using the nightly tests as a way to discover bugs. I cannot
> waste
> my personal time running a bunch of tests on my own slow laptop before
> pushing.

Well if the workflow is not suitable it should be changed.

If you don't stick to it - you might be saving some time - but others
end up wasting time..

For ex - I was hoping to graduate a feature branch from next testing -
but now thats has to wait..  Since we are not agreeing on the workflow
anyway - I could push my stuff directly to master etc..

Satish