[petsc-dev] slow loading of mesh in dmplex

Stephan Kramer s.kramer at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 05:53:12 CDT 2016

Dear petsc devs

After some profiling of the loading of a large gmsh mesh in dmplex
(which seemed to take forever), I found that it was spending 99% of its
time in IsGetIndices_Stride in the following calltree

DMPlexCreateGmshFromFile -> DMPlexGetFullJoin -> DMLabelGetStratumBounds
-> ISGetIndices -> ISGetIndices_Stride

where it seems to work out the bounds of each stratum by explicitly
computing all indices of a strided index set to then only take its first
and last entry, and this is done for each facet in the mesh a couple of
times.

With the attached patch I managed to reduce the load time of a mesh from
4 hours to 22 seconds! I'm not a 100% sure if the patch is correct in
all circumstances: I presume the assumption was that the index set is
sorted?

Cheers
Stephan