[petsc-dev] SIAM CSE17: thematic poster group on Software Productivity and Sustainability for CSE and Data Science

McInnes, Lois Curfman curfman at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 25 16:12:46 CDT 2016

Dear everyone:

We are organizing a minisymposterium (thematic poster group) on
    Software Productivity and Sustainability for CSE and Data Science
(see abstract below) for the SIAM Conference on Computational Science and
Engineering (CSE17), which will be held during Feb 27 - March 3, 2017 in
Atlanta, Georgia, see http://www.siam.org/meetings/cse17/.

We invite you and others who are working on issues in software productivity
and sustainability to consider submitting a poster to CSE17 as part of this
minisymposterium.  Feel free to forward this information to others who may
be interested.

Please let me know by Thursday, Sept 1 if you are interested in
submitting a poster as part of this session.  If so, respond to me by
email with a draft title of the poster and a sentence or two about the
area of work.  I will then follow up with instructions for submitting a
poster abstract (1,500 characters maximum) to the CSE17 conference
system (and also to us by email); our goal is to collect all abstracts by
Thursday, Sept 8.  Unfortunately, SIAM does not provide travel support
for poster presenters.  Note that CSE17 conference guidelines allow
an individual to present a poster in addition to a talk, provided that the
talk and poster are on different results.

All posters in the thematic poster group will be co-located in the
poster viewing area, which will provide a rich environment for informal
exchange of ideas on software productivity and sustainability issues.
The following is a video clip of the overall CSE15 poster sessions:
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqggZFQUJ8&feature=youtu.be

I’d be glad to address any questions you may have.

Best,
Lois (for the organizers)

--

Minisymposterium:
Software Productivity and Sustainability for CSE and Data Science

Organizers:
David E. Bernholdt (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)
Michael A. Heroux (Sandia National Laboratories)
Daniel S. Katz (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign)
Anders Logg (Chalmers University of Technology)
Lois Curfman McInnes (Argonne National Laboratory)

Abstract:
Software is the key crosscutting technology that connects advances in
mathematics, computer science, and domain-specific science and
engineering to achieve robust simulations and analysis for predictive
science, engineering, and other research fields.  While software is
becoming more complex due to multiphysics and multiscale modeling, the
coupling of data analytics, and disruptive changes in computer hardware
(due to increases in typical system scale and heterogeneity, including
GPUs and additional alternative architectures), software itself has not
traditionally received focused attention in the CSE community or been
rewarded by that community.  The speakers in this minisymposterium will
discuss work that addresses growing technical and social challenges in
software productivity, quality, and sustainability, and thereby is
helping software to fulfill its critical role as a cornerstone of
long-term CSE collaboration.