[petsc-dev] PetscSF vs VecScatter

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 21 15:43:44 CDT 2015

  Blaise,

   VecScatter will always be there as a way to arrange moving vector entries around between vectors.

   Someday (I bet Jed thought it would be years ago) PetscSF might be so good that VecScatter would be completely implemented on top of PetscSF and the old VecScatter implementations removed but that is only behind the scenes and not visible to users anyway.

   Does that sound reasonable or for some reason do you think the VecScatter API should be dropped and we force people who need to do vector scatters to do them by calling the PetscSF themselves?

   Barry