[petsc-dev] Adding support memkind allocators in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 3 21:18:39 CDT 2015

> On Jun 3, 2015, at 8:55 PM, Richard Mills <rtm at utk.edu> wrote:
>
> Ha, yes.  I'll try this out, but I do wonder what people's thoughts are on the best way to "tag" an object like a Vec or Mat for some particular treatment of its placement in memory.  Does doing this at the level of a Mat or Vec (e.g., VecSetAdvMallocCtx() ) sound appropriate?  We could actually make this a part of any PetscObject, but I think that's not necessary.

  No idea.

  Perhaps, and this is just nonsense off the top of my head, if you had some measure of the importance of a vector (or matrix; I would start with vectors for simplicity and since we have more of them) based on how often it's values would be "accessed". So a vector that you know is only used "once in a while" gets a lower "importance" than one that gets used "very often". Of course determining these vectors importances may be difficult. You could do it experimentally, add some code that measures how often each vector gets its values "accessed (whatever that means)/read write" and see if there is some distribution (do this for a nontrivial TS example) where some vectors are accessed often and others rarely. Now place the often "accessed" vectors in faster memory and see how much faster the code is.

  Barry

A related note is that "we" are not particularly careful about "reusing" work vectors; say a code has ten different work vectors for different phases of the computation; now imagine a careful "global analysis" that determined it could get away with three work vectors (since only at most three had relevant values at any one time), now pop those three work vectors into faster memory where the ten previous work vectors could not fit. Obviously I am being extreme here to make a point that careful memory decisions could potentially make a difference in complicated codes (and all we are about are complicated codes).