[petsc-dev] -mat_error_if_fpe?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 2 15:58:46 CDT 2015

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Dmitry Karpeyev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> Currently -pc_type lu will not detect a zero pivot (it will happily produce an Inf or a NaN) and the flag it checks whether to see whether
> to do it is erroriffpe.   KSP_DIVERGED_NANORINF is too generic.  What if the user wants to verify there is a zero pivot?

   -ksp_error_if_not_converged will cause an immediate stack trace when the zero pivot occurs (as would the user calling MatSetErrorIfFPE() on the matrix or the use of -mat_error_if_fpe if it existed).

   There is no way currently to get back programatically anything more specific than KSP_DIVERGED_NANORINF on a zero pivot, we can start adding more that has nothing to do with -mat_error_if_fpe

> Also, irrespective of the use case, if we have a XXXSetYYY(), isn't our policy to have a command-line way of doing it?

  No, only when it makes sense and doesn't duplicate other functionality. I don't see -mat_error_if_fpe in this case adding anything more helpful then the already existing -ksp_error_if_not_converged

  Convince me.

  Barry