[petsc-dev] prefix install and module file

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 04:56:01 CST 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 12:16, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 January 2015 at 22:08, Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pip is new and evolving why do they still cling to prefix only at install
>>> time?
>>

>> You are not pip's use case.   Prefix is one of the last things on their
>> minds, since 99% of the time they are just installing into the system
>> prefix, and in other situations permissions are handled via virtualenv or
>> some other tool.
>
> Folks, I have a proposal the issues. IMHO, the only pourpose of having
> setup.py at the root of the PETSc tree is to make it possible to "pip
> install petsc", that is, we should not expect people to run setup.py
> by themselves invoking the various Python's distutils/setuptools
> commands.
>
> According to pip documentation,
> https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/reference/pip_install.html?highlight=egg_info#build-system-interface,
> "pip install" only uses "setup.py install", it never calls "setup.py
> build". So we can just update setup.py to do "configure
> --prefix=$PREFIX && make && make install" at setup.py's install
> command.
>
> Do you all agree about these changes? If yes, then I'll proceed to
> update setup.py to flollow "the PETSc way" of building+installing.

Barry, BTW, would you mind moving lib/petsc-conf/install.py to config/
? IMHO, it is a more appropriate place for the install script.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 4332
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459