[petsc-dev] prefix install and module file

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 03:16:19 CST 2015

On 14 January 2015 at 22:08, Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Pip is new and evolving why do they still cling to prefix only at install
>> time?
>

> You are not pip's use case.   Prefix is one of the last things on their
> minds, since 99% of the time they are just installing into the system
> prefix, and in other situations permissions are handled via virtualenv or
> some other tool.

Folks, I have a proposal the issues. IMHO, the only pourpose of having
setup.py at the root of the PETSc tree is to make it possible to "pip
install petsc", that is, we should not expect people to run setup.py
by themselves invoking the various Python's distutils/setuptools
commands.

According to pip documentation,
https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/reference/pip_install.html?highlight=egg_info#build-system-interface,
"pip install" only uses "setup.py install", it never calls "setup.py
build". So we can just update setup.py to do "configure
--prefix=$PREFIX && make && make install" at setup.py's install
command.

Do you all agree about these changes? If yes, then I'll proceed to
update setup.py to flollow "the PETSc way" of building+installing.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 4332
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459