[petsc-dev] so Bitbucket and git suck once again

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 11 18:51:14 CDT 2014

  Jed

  So, I am in my PETSc repository and want to try out Patrick Sanan’s FCG since it is cool and we ignored it too long and need to get it into the repository. He’s made a nice pull request; great. So I do

~/Src/petsc  master $ git checkout psanan/ksp-fcg
error: pathspec 'psanan/ksp-fcg' did not match any file(s) known to git.

Then I fucking give up.

Why doesn’t bitbucket produce useful information to get his branch without being a git guru? It should show the exact magical git incantation to pull his branch.

1) How do I pull his branch into my repository
2) How do I know in the future when I want to do this again, how to pull his branch in when my long term memory is shot?

In other words, though git/bitbucket is powerful, it could be better for people who cannot remember shit

  Thanks