[petsc-dev] get rid of https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev NOW

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 4 10:10:42 CDT 2014

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2014, at 9:12 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > how about 'petsc-dev' mailing list?
>
>   :-) Though that could be slightly confusing it is just the petsc developers mailing list and distinct from “petsc-dev” which means some mystical repository somewhere (what branch?) that does need to be eradicated from our vocabulary.

Incomplete statements will always such ambiguity. There is no harm in
asking for clarification.

petsc-dev It primarily refers to 'master branch' [or taball off
it]. If one is using it differently - then there is an error.

If eliminating petsc-dev [wrt repo/tarball] we also need to change
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/developers/index.html

What about maint? How does one interpret it? Does it refer to 'maint'
branch aka release or petsc-maint e-mail? How about the bad corelation
'petsc-dev at mcs' for petsc-develoment discussion petsc-maint at mcs -
petsc release discussions only?

Or perhaps rename petsc-dev@ as petsc-development@ and petsc-maint@ as petsc-maintainance@

This maint/master/next terminology is great for gitworkflow users -
not petsc users [who don't know or care about gitworkflows(8) terminology]

Or we should always say 'master *branch*' or 'maint *branch*' [and a
followup e-mail: master = development-stable next=development-testing
etc..] Look at all the email replies from petsc developers that don't
mention it [and we expect our users to be complete..]

> Note the email we just got:
>
> I'm trying to build petsc-dev and it's failing on configuring Zoltan. I've attached the configure.log
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

>   I have not clue what branch John is talking about.

petsc-dev refers to master branch. But one doesn't have to rely on that when we have logs..

$ grep VERSION_GIT configure.log
        #define PETSC_VERSION_GIT        "unknown"
          Defined "VERSION_GIT" to ""v3.5.1-194-gde9c8a0""
#ifndef PETSC_VERSION_GIT
#define PETSC_VERSION_GIT "v3.5.1-194-gde9c8a0"

$ git branch -r --contains de9c8a0
  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  origin/knepley/feature-fe-fv-hybrid
  origin/master