[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Multiple solves with PCMG fail

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 22 09:11:56 CDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> writes:

> >> iterations in computing eigenvalues for Cheby.
> >>
> >> Hmm, what is right?  Suggest that the user set
> >> -ksp_chebyshev_estimate_eigenvalues_random?  Automatically fall back to
> >> that?
> >>

> > Are you implying that PETSc is using the RHS to compute the spectra for
> > cheby?
>
> That is the default, yes.

OK, I know resistance is futile but I'll just go on the record as saying
this is not a good idea.  GAMG uses a random vector and gives this to
Cheby.  The EPSI project that I work on has a zero RHS in their first
solve.  What if you do the setup before the solve and before you have a RHS.

Also, the random vector is high frequency and should converge faster.  The
RHS can often be low frequency.

I you have very different scales in components perhaps the RHS would be
better.