[petsc-dev] does next model mess up our histories

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 2 09:39:16 CDT 2014

On 10/02/2014 04:34 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>> I disagree on 'reset next' every few days as a fix to this problem. I suspect
>> Jed will have a different objection for this reset..
>
> It makes it harder to follow changes on 'next' (including whether
> certain features get fixed) and users can't simply "git pull".  I think
> it's useful to have 'next' persist between releases (we could do more
> frequent feature releases).

I second more frequent feature releases. Currently we release every ~12
months. Releasing every 6 months is certainly within reach. It should
also help us with finishing features up on a regular basis rather than
having them in a half-done state for too long (of course I'm also
referring to myself here).

Best regards,
Karli