[petsc-dev] PETSc 3.5.0 compilation on Windows and OpenMP with pthread

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Jul 3 08:26:09 CDT 2014

Baros Vladimir <vbaros at hsr.ch> writes:
> previously I successfully built PETSc with Intel compiler (the last
> successful build was 3.4.4) using OpenMP libraries.
>
> In version 3.5.0, OpenMP package depends on pthread library which
> doesn't exist on Windows.  Why this new requirement and what do you
> recommend to use on Windows?

Your old Windows configuration of PETSc was not actually using OpenMP.

The threaded implementations use a "thread communicator" which was
activated by the optional package "pthreadclasses".  OpenMP is not used
by PETSc without "threadcomm" and we are refactoring the whole thing so
please don't use it at this time.