[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jan 28 21:33:11 CST 2014

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>> They hired Chris Lattner in 2005, well before GPLv3 (2007).
>
> GPLv3 was in development for many years. So I guess apple planned ahead.

They always hated every kind of GPL.  Lattner had a vision and built
something worthwhile.  Two years after the first release, Apple decided
it was promising enough to hire him.  GPLv3 was just a place they
decided to draw the line, and unfortunately, it has given many of their
users a distorted impression about the quality/age of products like GCC.

> Fedora is labeling it as GPLv2+ - so I misread that
> $ rpm -qi make |grep License
> License     : GPLv2+

File a bug report.  I would expect Fedora to be careful about this.