[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 28 20:55:16 CST 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Jed Brown wrote:
> >
> >> That's good to hear.  Why do they refuse to ship a make that is less
> >> than 8 years old?
> >
> > Our linux compute machines [ubuntu 12.04] is also has  3.81
> >
> > Fedora Linux is still at 3.82
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=813
>
> 4.0 was only released last fall, but 3.82 has been out for several
> years.  It had a very minor backward incompatibility in resolving
> multiple applicable pattern rules (new rule is that the shortest stem
> wins) which affected a couple packages at the time, though they promply
> updated.

For one - 4.0 its not yet in fedora rawhide [I don't know why]. Also
fedora appears to carry lot of patches for 3.82.
http://lwn.net/Articles/569841/

Perhaps some of them are related to this issue on OSX?

> > Per https://ia601008.us.archive.org/7/items/OhioLinuxfest2013/24-Rob_Landley-The_Rise_and_Fall_of_Copyleft.mp3
> > Apple doesn't want touch GPL3 code [hence froze gcc at 4.2 and started
> > investing in clang].
>
> They hired Chris Lattner in 2005, well before GPLv3 (2007).

GPLv3 was in development for many years. So I guess apple planned ahead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl_v3#Version_3

> > But this issue doesn't exist for gnumake. [I see its GPL2+]
>
> No, it is GPLv3+ since 3.82.  Stupid ideology wars and the only true
> losers are the users and developers caught in the middle.

Ok - so GPLv3 must be the reason Apple is sticking with gnumake 3.81

Fedora is labeling it as GPLv2+ - so I misread that
$ rpm -qi make |grep License
License     : GPLv2+

Satish