[petsc-dev] DMPlex reader / viewers

Tim Tautges (ANL) tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 22 12:47:54 CST 2014

On 01/22/2014 11:29 AM, petsc-dev-request at mcs.anl.gov wrote:
> Message: 3 Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:26:02 +0000 From: Blaise A Bourdin<bourdin at lsu.edu> To: Jed
> Brown<jed at jedbrown.org> Cc: petsc-dev<petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> Subject: Re: [petsc-dev] DMplex reader / viewers
>

> On Jan 22, 2014, at 10:57 AM, Jed Brown<jed at jedbrown.org>  wrote:
>
>>> Moving back to list.
> sorry, muscle memory prevents me from hitting that reply-to button

>>> Do we consider this an acceptable long-term solution?
> hell no!
>
> Does anybody knows of any open and widespread format supporting elements of order >2? I checked quickly, and
> according to their documentation it seems that none of exodusii, silo 4.7, or xdmf support them...

MOAB supports this, with certain constraints (if one facet of an element is resolved with higher-order nodes, they all
have to be), including I/O.  But, you'd have to modify any viz tool to handle those elements (e.g. both Paraview and
Visit interpret Nek5000's Nth order spectral element as NxN linear elements.

- tim

> Incidentally, exodus docs last update is from 2006,silo?s from 2010, andhttp://www.xdmf.org  has seen minor edits
> after 2009... I seem to recall that the project is now hosted with visit. Not sure.
>
> Blaise

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706