[petsc-dev] workflow diagram

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 30 15:59:53 CDT 2014

   It is pretty good. One thing that I don’t think is clear is that the successful testing in next TRIGGERs the branch being merged up to master. I have drawn in an ugly curve which is an example of that. Sadly I couldn’t see how to put an arrow on it nor put text saying something like “successful test leads to merge of branch into master”.

   Also  you use funky unnecessary language that muddles things up.

    red circle    — merge to integration branch      “integration”? Just say next/test branch in fact next should really be called test branch but I guess we are stuck with next

   You waste too much of the page with all the explanation at the bottom.

   Make the maint and master branch lines blue, the feature lines yellow, the bug fix branch line green, the next branch line red

   The wording (usually start from master) is wrong. It is the branch that is usually started from master not the commit.

   Remove all the business of “discard when next is rewound words” instead just show the next release being made on the right side of the picture and hence the new next being made again like you do at the left side

   With these changes you can get rid of the last three things at the bottom in ()